- Fresh dill (try to find some with the flower head)
- Whole pickle sized cucumbers such as Kirby (thick slices or spears)
- Chopped fresh garlic to taste
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- Crushed dried red hot pepper
- Brine (3/4 cup distilled white vinegar; 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt, water)
For the brine: Combine 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar and 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt to each quart of water that has been boiled and cooled first.
For the pickles: In a clean gallon jar (ingredients can be divided into smaller jars), layer fresh dill on the bottom and lots of chopped fresh garlic, pickling spice, dried red hot peppers. Pack in whole slices or spears of Kirby cucumbers. Add more dill and the cooled brine. Leave out on the counter for 2 days, then store in the refrigerator. Pickles will keep well until 6 to 8 months.